- Managing Partner
Joe attended Georgetown University and graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles, in 1962 with a Bachelor of Science. He served on active duty in U.S. Naval Reserve as an unrestricted line officer from 1962-66. Retired as Captain (after 1962 - 1966). Following active duty, Joe entered the University of San Francisco School of Law and received his Juris Doctorate in 1969.
Joe's practice focuses on defense of personal injury and property damage lawsuits, representing parties in disputes before governmental and port authorities, and business and commercial litigation. This includes the defense of employer and vessel interests for claims brought by Jones Act seamen and longshoremen; the defense of carriers, stevedores and warehouse keepers for property damage and loss litigation; representing carriers before the Federal Maritime Commission and the Harbor Commissions of the Port of Los Angeles and Port of Long Beach; and representing employers in labor and employment claims. Joe also has represented parties in the charter, purchase, operation and sale of vessels and in other transportation transactions.
Joe has served on the Board of Directors of the San Pedro Boys and Girls Club since 1975, where he has been a past president. He also has served as president of the Harbor Bar Association (1975-77), as member of the Board of Directors of the Long Beach Bar Association and as a member of the Board of Trustees of the College of Oceaneering in Wilmington, California.
Joe won an appeal in the California Court of Appeal, Continental Insurance Co. v. Columbus Line (107 Ca.App. 4th 1190), overturning a substantial judgment against Columbus Line. He is the author of the article, The New West Coast Labor Contract: It' s History, Terms and Recession , published in Volume 1, No. 1 edition of Benedict's Maritime Bulletin (First Quarter 2003).
Joe has been a Proctor in Admiralty in the Maritime Law Association since 1980. He is admitted to practice before all state courts in California, all federal courts in California and Arizona, and the United States Supreme Court. He is also a member of the Propeller Club of the United States. Joe has received an "AV" rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers.
Areas Of Practice
- Admiralty & Maritime Law
- Defense of Personal Injury and Property Damage Lawsuits
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Transactional Matters
- California, 1970
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of San Francisco School of Law, San Francisco, California
- University of California, Los Angeles
- B.S. - 1962
- Georgetown University
- Author, The New West Coast Labor Contract: It' s History, Terms and Recession, Volume 1, No. 1 edition of Benedict's Maritime Bulletin (First Quarter 2003)
- Continental Insurance Co. v. Columbus Line (107 Ca.App. 4th 1190)
Honors and Awards
- "AV" rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Maritime Law Association, Proctor
- Long Beach Bar Association, Board of Directors, Member
- Harbor Bar Association, President, 1975 to 1977
- College of Oceaneering, Board of Trustees, Member
Past Employment Positions
- U.S. Naval Reserve, Unrestricted Line Officer, 1962 to 1966
Pro Bono Activities
- Board of Directors, San Pedro Boys and Girls Club , 1975
- Past President, San Pedro Boys and Girls Club
- Member, Propeller Club of the United States