- Of Counsel
Mr. Hawkins attended California State College at Los Angeles (B.S., with Distinction, 1963); University of Southern California (Master’s Program in School of Public Administration); Standard Designated Subjects Teaching Credential (Life); University of California at Los Angeles School of Law (Juris Doctor, 1969). Recipient, American Jurisprudence Awards in Evidence, Control of Crime and Justice and the Legal Profession.
From 1961 to 1969, Mr. Hawkins was employed, as a deputy sheriff in the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, spending three years as a patrol and traffic accident investigation deputy and six years as an administrative sergeant, with supervisorial responsibilities in the administration of the Department’s contract law enforcement program, reporting directly to one of the Department’s Division Chiefs and Sheriff.
After graduating from UCLA School of Law, he was employed by Los Angeles County’s oldest law firm, where he practiced civil ligation, representing both defendants and plaintiffs, for 17 years, eventually heading the firm’s Admiralty Law Department and became one of the firm’s managing partners. He was one of the founding partners of Hawkins, Schnabel, Lindahl & Beck and, 15 years later, Hawkins, Prata & Daley – both boutique civil litigation firms -- where he represented both plaintiffs and defendants, in State and Federal Court litigated disputes, in California and other states, including Admiralty and Maritime, Personal Injury, Products Liability, Premises Liability, First and Third Party Insurance, Probate, Professional Negligence, Environmental, Consumer Protection and Commercial Litigation disputes. He served seven years as Of Counsel to Long Beach’s oldest law firm and, more recently, Of Counsel to Russell, Mirkovich & Morrow.
Mr. Hawkins has been a Private Mediator since 1995 and Panel Arbitrator for the Long Beach Bar Association for over 10 years. His trial and litigation experience, in California and other states, for both plaintiffs and defendants, has been an asset in advising civil litigation matters and in mediation, where he clearly explains what litigants – on both side of the aisle – can expect in trial versus mediation, i.e., background and experience important to most attorneys and their litigating clients as they seek a negotiated resolution of their differences to retain control of the outcome, instead of the risks of trial.
Mr. Hawkins is admitted to practice before all California State Courts; the District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Central Districts; U.S. Court of Appeal - Federal Circuit; and the United States Supreme Court.
He is a member of the Long Beach Bar Association; Maritime Law Association of the United States (Proctor in Admiralty for Life); Federal Bar Association (Pending); and International Association of Defense Counsel (Member of Energy and Maritime Law, Transportation, Business Litigation, Alternate Dispute Resolution, and Products Liability Committees).
Mr. Hawkins is AV rated by Martindale Hubbell. He serves as Director of the Rolling Hills Community Association.
Areas Of Practice
- Admiralty and Maritime Law
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Commercial Litigation
- First and Third Party Insurance Law
- California, 1970
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1970
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1970
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1970
- U.S. District Court Western District of California, 1970
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1991
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 1969
- University of Southern California / School of Public Administration (Master’s Program)
- California State College at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- B.S. - 1964
- Honors: With Distinction
- El Camino College, Gardena, California
- A.A. - 1961
Honors and Awards
- Recipient of American Jurisdiction Award in The Legal Profession- 1968
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Recipient of American Jurisprudence Award in Evidence
- Recipient of American Jurisprudence Award in Control of Crime and Justice
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Long Beach Bar Association, 2008
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, 2002
- American Bar Association, 1984-1985, etc.
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, 1980s
- Maritime Law Association, Life Time Member, Present
- International Association of Defense Counsel, 1992 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, Deputy Sheriff/Sergeant, 1961 to 1969
- Overton, Lyman & Prince, Partner, 1970 to 1987
- Hawkins, Schnabel, Lindahl & Beck, A Founding Partner, 1987 to 2002
- Hawkins, Prata & Daley, A Founding Partner, 2002 to 2008
- Taubman, Simpson, Young & Sulentor, Of Counsel, 2008 to 2016
- Law Offices of Roger E. Hawkins, PC , President, 2008
- Russell, Mirkovich & Morrow, Of Counsel, 2016
Pro Bono Activities
- Director of Rolling Hills Community Association